Skip to main content

We All Regret It Until It's Too Late: Parents Are Heroes Too

I know all of you experienced this. We all get stressed out because of our parents sometimes, we can't change that.

Do this!
 Do that!
 Buy this!
 Clean that!
 You missed a spot!
 Clean your room!
 Clean up the kitchen!
 Go to school!
 Do your homework!



These are just some common lines that our mom usually shouts. But the last time I heard my mom shout was 5 years ago...

My mom's name's Ellyn. She's probably the kindest person you would have met. She was my teacher, my best friend, and my mom of course...The best mom in the world.

When she died, every time I do nothing but sit and think, there will always be flashbacks. Flashbacks where I would ignore her while she was trying to comfort me and ask me what was wrong;
Flashbacks where I saw her call out to me from the kitchen but I ignored her because she made me do the laundry;
And I never realized how sad she was when I did... I never noticed how her beautiful smile disappeared when I was selfish for my own wants...


But there were flashbacks when...

 I can see her genuine smile whenever I goof off;
 she would buy me my favorite dolls;
she would help me with my school work in any ways possible;
when she would do her best just to be the best mom for me and my older sister...

But honestly, she didn't need that effort at all because we love her no matter what.

Although there's this one flashback that breaks my heart the most...

The flashback that goes back to my sister's 13th birthday and we were all in my mom's room trying to keep her alive. I was there while I saw them trying to help her breathe and live another day...

Wanna know something?

I was crying on our terrace then I cried out to my dad "I just wanna see her smile, even just one more time."

then 30 minutes later, someone called me and made me go to my mom, she was smiling a really beautiful smile that I could have never imagined...

She died hours after that...Cancer killed another angel.


As for my dad?

We had a lot of memories together...

I remember this one particular conversation when I saw him with scratches and bruises:

Me: Pa, you should be careful next time, okay?
Dad: Why are you so worried?
Me: You're my only parent left and I don't want you gone.

And after that, he hugged me and kissed me on the forehead. That was my most favorite moment.
My dad was my best friend, partner-in-crime, and my buddy whenever we're both hungry. We both love food and every time it's exam week, he would take me grocery shopping for my snacks while studying.

Morning of November 1, 2012

We were all in a rush to dress up to go to church. It's November and it's also my birthday month, then I remember my dad asking me what I wanted as a gift...Well you know what? His "gift" surprised me...A LOT.

Before going to church, my dad and I have this similar necklace and I made him wear his and that made me happy. He is the sweetest dad ever, I tell you.


After going home from the cemetery, I asked my dad to take me to my aunt's house so I can surf the net because they have WiFi. If I knew that it was his last day, I shouldn't have left.

I went home at about 10 o'clock that evening because my sister called me and she told me that a fight has been going on between my dad and our neighbors but it got sorted out somehow.

The last line I told him was: "Pa, can I eat the remaining salad?" and he agreed.

My dad was drinking with his friends when my sister and I went to bed...It was just a normal night for us but then...

It was 1:01 a.m when I heard the gunshots. We heard shouting and crying. My sister was scared because we heard rocks being thrown on our rooftop and it heard like our roof's gonna fall off, and actually, at that moment, I was ready to die.

A few minutes later, I heard my dad say while crying "I miss you, Ma..."

I will not continue the story..I can't take it, my apologies...

But I swear, nothing haunts me than that terrible experience..

Our dad died for our lives, not just for me and my sis, but for everyone as well, his family, friends, everyone. He is our hero. And that hero's name is Cicero.


Now I'm asking you, please, hug your parents for me. Don't be shy to tell them you love them because those simple 3 words will change their mood. Be thankful. Love them and bear with them.Yes, they might get annoying but understanding them is a must. Love them because without them, you wouldn't be where you are now.

"Mom, Dad, I love you and thank you for everything."

Simple as it may sound but for them, it's the best thing they have ever heard because after all their hardwork just for you to live a happy life was worth it.

Do it as soon as you can, as long as you can. Tell them that every single day if you could. I promise you, they won't get tired of it.

P.S
Just don't take it for granted.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose: My Happiness or Yours?

We can’t deny that we’ve all been through this rough decision. You wanna go home but your friends want you to stay? You wanna buy your favorite shoes but your mom insists that the shoes she picked was better? You wanna be a teacher but your parents wants you to be an engineer? Those are just some of the hard decisions to think over. Whether you’ll go for what you want but the other side gets disappointed or you follow the wants of others and you just have to bear with it.  But to think of it, sometimes you have to fight for yourself. I mean, yes, you want to make them happy, but what about you? Are you gonna be happy? Yes, sometimes you have to think about others before yourself but it doesn't mean you have to do it all the time...because sometimes, people can abuse you for that. Would you want that? Definitely not. But then the thought that you're risking something over your happiness might come into mind. Take for example, your friendship. Yes, they

Maybe Life Isn't As Bad As You Think It Is

We all think that life is a challenge. An RP game that we are all a part of. We go through things that we think are our last challenge because we're just gonna pause it right there and not even think of a way to get over it. And now you're stuck at looking at a flat wall, and it's staring back at you. A tough life, that's what we all have. We have problems that we think will never arrive at our doorstep, but it did. When something goes wrong, we think that we rode the wrong train and there's no turning back. But maybe that's just how it's supposed to be. We've focused enough on the normal things that we didn't even wonder what's behind a mountain. We think that we're safe if we do things normally, and by doing things the normal way, there's nothing that can waver the norms. When we look at people smiling and laughing, we wish that our life will turn out to be like theirs, and we're not even thinking that maybe they have their own

Goodnight.

It's almost 2am and my mind is filled with reasons why I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sleep ... because when you've said your last "goodnight" for today, I wondered if you'll ever need me for the next couple of hours. What if you couldn't sleep, or have been woken up from a nightmare, and I wouldn't be there to tell you that everything's going to be alright? Tell me what's bothering you at 3am and I will talk to you until you fall asleep. And by then I'll bid you Goodnight. I couldn't sleep ... because when I look at the ceiling, I'd wish that by the time I look beside me, I can see you, and not this pillow missing the warmth of your skin. And maybe by then we wouldn't need to have our phone in our hands, because I would intertwine your fingers with mine, and they'd fit perfectly, almost as if it's meant to be. And we'll look at each other's eyes Not on our phones Because we wouldn't have